7 Fun and Fascinating Facts About Clementines
September 14, 2022 | By: The Darling Dish
If you eat as many Darling Clementines® as us, you’ve probably found yourself curious about these guys.
- How did Darling Citrus® start?
Where did they come from?
Where in the world do these things grow?
What fun recipes can I make with Clementines?
Can I do anything with my leftover peels?
- The Darling Clementine® brand was established in 1991 and our founder and owner, Luke Sears, played a major role in the first imported clementines from Spain arriving in the U.S. market.
- Clementines love hot summers and cool winters, so these Darlings come from around the world, growing in climates that they love and making them taste their best! Our citrus is grown in Chile (learn more here), Morocco, Uruguay, and Peru at different times of the year.
- You can grow a clementine tree in your house! Many amateur gardeners grow clementines indoors in pots or other containers, with most trees reaching a maximum size between 5 and 6 feet.
- There are so many fun ways to enjoy clementines any time of day in a variety of tasty recipes!
- Clementines are characterized by their smooth, shiny skin and are wider than they are tall. Our favorite characteristic though...they are so easy to peel and can be enjoyed in a snap!
- Looking to reduce food waste and use up any excess citrus? Take a look at these other ideas for repurposing your leftover peels.
- The origin of clementines is debated but generally attributed to a hybrid from the Algerian garden of Marie-Clément in 1902. Clément, clementine...see the connection here?
We hope you had fun learning about our favorite snack! What else do you want to know about this tasty citrus?
External links are provided for informational purposes only. LGS Specialty Sales, Ltd. makes no endorsement of any links from its site, nor is it responsible for the accuracy, legality, or content of the external site or for that of subsequent links. Contact the external site with any questions regarding its content.